We are seeking a committed and driven person, to start as soon as possible, to join our international team working in Colombia. FPP project activities in Colombia focus on promoting the reform of commodity supply chains to eliminate rights abuse, illegal deforestation and other environmental damage. The role will involve direct support and liaison with local NGOs and indigenous, Afro-Colombian and small holder organisations in northern and central-western Colombia, the Chocó region, Northern Cauca, and the eastern lowlands of the country.
Forest Peoples Programme (FPP) is an international NGO that supports forest peoples to assert their rights to control and manage their territories and forests. In Colombia FPP provides legal and technical assistance to indigenous peoples, Afro-descendant communities, smallholders and environmental defenders to claim their rights and defend their territories affected by the expansion of the agricultural and extractives frontier. FPP works to promote accountable international finance and trade, corporate accountability, company adherence to standards on sustainable commodity production and corporate compliance with business and human rights principles. Our Colombian projects support local systems for community self-government and territorial management through a range of actions, including capacity building, community mapping and monitoring, local studies of traditional knowledge, and advocacy targeting public and private entities. Further information is available on our website
We are seeking a committed and driven person, to start as soon as possible, to join our international team working in Colombia. FPP project activities in Colombia focus on promoting the reform of commodity supply chains to eliminate rights abuse, illegal deforestation and other environmental damage. The role will involve direct support and liaison with local NGOs and indigenous, Afro-Colombian and small holder organisations in northern and central-western Colombia, the Chocó region, Northern Cauca, and the eastern lowlands of the country. In carrying out the local project support work, you will collaborate and liaise closely with FPP policy advisors and lawyers. Your activities and work will be overseen and managed by FPP’s Responsible Finance Programme (RFP) Coordinator.
The successful candidate will have proven field experience working with local organisations and communities in Colombia. They will also have a good knowledge of project management and associated administrative and financial skills. Proven skills in communications, including the use of social media is a significant advantage for this role. Experience in work on corporate accountability would likewise be a distinct advantage. You will be a confident and proficient Spanish speaker with proven skills in spoken and written Spanish. Competency in spoken and written English is an additional requirement for this post.
- Regular liaison and communications regarding project management and FPP-partner relations with our international team responsible for FPP’s Colombia programme;
- Assisting with the formulation of partner agreements, consultant contracts and reporting templates;
- Accompanying local partner organisations in project implementation and the completion of work plans;
- Travel to field projects to provide technical and logistical support to communities;
- Assisting local partners and FPP team members to compile narrative and financial reports to donors;
- Liaison with project associates, including legal NGOs, local consultants and facilitators;
- Direct engagement in project actions and advocacy, including support for communications work (articles, press releases, social media etc.)
- Representing FPP in meetings with national and international agencies and decision-makers as well as local and global civil society organisations, as necessary and as requested by FPP
- Attendance at, and supporting work for partners at national, regional and global policy meetings as requested by FPP
Qualifications and experience (see also above)
- University degree or other relevant qualification with some experience in project management;
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish;
- Competency in spoken and written English;
- Previous experience working in the context of community organisations and non-governmental organisations in Colombia is a major advantage;
- Knowledge of project management principles and methodologies, including work planning, budget management, financial reporting etc.
- Understanding of, and strong commitment to, the mission and vision of FPP.
- Full-time, based in Colombia
- One-year* fixed consultancy contract, with extension possible subject to funding and needs (230 days).
- Salary: competitive rates
- Start date: end of February 2019
To apply for this post
Please send a CV and covering letter by email to to include your name and ‘Project Officer (COLOMBIA)’ in subject line.
Closing date for applications:
5 p.m. GMT, Monday 28 January 2019.
*Subject to a review after 3 months and 6 month probationary period