We are looking for a Project Manager to oversee coordination and implementation of this exciting, two-year multi-country project promoting Human Rights and the Defence of Forests at the Agricultural/Extractives Frontier. The project will work with local partners and forest communities in Colombia, Peru, Guyana and Indonesia to drive improvements in the human rights and deforestation impacts of global commodity supply chains by support indigenous communities and other local communities to monitor and respond to localized threats to their rights and resources, and by developing a body of evidence-based advocacy tools to contribute to legal and policy change on a global, national and local level.
Focus on the Frontline is a two-year multi-country project promoting Human Rights and the Defence of Forests at the Agricultural/Extractives Frontier. The project will work with local partners and forest communities in Colombia, Peru, Guyana and Indonesia to drive improvements in the human rights and deforestation impacts of global commodity supply chains by support indigenous communities and other local communities to monitor and respond to localized threats to their rights and resources, and by developing a body of evidence-based advocacy tools to contribute to legal and policy change on a global, national and local level. As well as country level work, the project will involve international advocacy in different forest policy initiatives, including UK and EU processes. The project is funded by the Norwegian government and begins on 1st of January 2019.
Purpose of the role
The Project Manager will oversee coordination and implementation of the project, in close liaison with the Project Sponsor, policy advisors, country focal points and finance staff. The Project Manager will liaise with FPP’s international policy advisors, agreeing work plans and budget needs. The Project Manager will ensure robust project planning, supervision and reporting of this project in line with donor requirements.
- Develop and oversee regular work planning processes and associated activity projections and budget forecasts liaising with the four country field teams, the finance officer and other colleagues, to ensure reports are submitted to the donor in line with requirements.
- Liaise with finance manager and team in close management of the budget and forecasts, ensuring spending and activities are on track and appropriate actions are taken to address over or underspends.
- Support the development and effective use of project-specific monitoring and evaluation systems and assist with project monitoring in the target countries.
- Liaise with the four country teams in developing Partnership Agreements with partners, and overseeing those Agreements over the two year project.
- Liaise with the communications team on the dissemination of outputs and other specific communications needs.
- Assist with the planning and organising of meetings with partners and international allies with country field teams or thematic leads.
- Compile narrative reports and prepare documentation
- Compile TORs and consultancy contracts for consultants and oversee their work and ensure work is delivered to FPP on time and to a high quality.
- Line manage staff, as required (e.g. programme assistant).
- Other tasks relevant to the effective implementation of the project.
Skills and Experience
- Substantial experience of project management, preferably in multi-country, multi-year projects, with a track record of delivery of complex project results
- Experience of managing the entire project cycle including establishing systems
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-cultural, dispersed team of FPP staff and partners to achieve shared objectives
- Strong financial literacy
- Ability to communicate clearly and succinctly (written and oral)
- Experience in similar areas of work is desirable such as global supply chains, human rights, indigenous rights, land rights, etc
- Highly organised, strong attention to detail while able to retain the bigger picture
- Strong alignment with FPP’s values and principles
- Able to work effectively in both Spanish and English (written and oral)
- Initially 0.75 full time equivalent fixed term employment contract until 31st December 2020
- To be based (at least 50% of time) in the Moreton-in-Marsh office, Gloucestershire
- Salary range £30-£40,000, depending on qualifications and experience
- Benefits include:
- 20 days leave per year pro rata, plus all public holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year when the office is closed
- Reporting to: Project Manager ENRTP (current proposed line manager)
- The right to live and work in the UK is required for this role
To apply for this post
Please submit a covering letter and CV by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, including your name and ‘Project Manager Focus on the Frontline’ in the subject line.
Closing date for applications: 17:00 GMT, Friday 11th January 2019.
We regret that we are unable to contact or give reasons to those candidates who are not short-listed.