Code of Conduct
To be understood and signed by all staff, contractors, Board members and consultants
The aim of this Code of Conduct is to provide clear guidance on the standards of behaviour that we expect of each other to ensure a positive working environment for everyone.
This code of conduct is binding on all [NAME OF ORGANISATION] staff, Board members, contractors and consultants. If you have any questions it is your responsibility to ask your manager for clarification. If you fail to adhere to any of the provisions of the Code of Conduct you can face disciplinary action, dismissal or even legal action.
1. I RESPECT OTHERS
· I will contribute to building a harmonious workplace based on team spirit, mutual respect and understanding.
· I will respect all persons equally and without any distinction or discrimination based on nationality, race, ethnicity, tribe, gender, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, political opinion or disability.
· I will act fairly, honestly and tactfully and treat people with dignity and respect. I will respect the national law and local culture, traditions, customs and practices that are in line with international human rights.
· I will not sexually exploit or abuse, or bully or harass colleagues, partner staff or community members.
· I will dress in a manner appropriate to the assignment and the cultural setting.
· Consequently, I will not take part in any form of discrimination, harassment, or abuse (physical, sexual or verbal), intimidation or exploitation, or in any other way infringe the rights of others.
· I will ensure those I work with understand and employ these principles in their work, and I will take steps to intervene appropriately and sensitively if they do not (including by reporting inappropriate behaviour when needed).
2. I MAINTAIN HIGH STANDARDS OF PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT
…by serving the mandate and values of [NAME OF ORGANISATION], by applying [NAME OF ORGANISATION] manuals, policies and procedures, by striving for high standards in my work, taking responsibility for my actions and not abusing my position of power as an [NAME OF ORGANISATION] representative. I refrain from behaving in a way that undermines my ability to do my job or is likely to harm [NAME OF ORGANISATION]’s reputation and I will ensure that my personal and professional performance is always based on non-racist, non-discriminatory and gender-sensitive conduct. Consequently,
· I will not engage in sexual relations with anyone under the age of 18, or abuse or exploit a child in any way, regardless of the age of majority or age of consent locally. Mistaken belief in the age of a child is not a defence.
· I will neither support nor take part in any form of criminal, exploitative or abusive activities, including, for example child labour, paedophilia, forced prostitution, or the trafficking of human beings, commodities or intoxicants.
· I will never knowingly support, tolerate or encourage terrorism or the activities of those who embrace terrorism.
· I will not use my position as an [NAME OF ORGANISATION] employee, contractor, trustee, associate or consultant to advance a political position or party in a way which associates [NAME OF ORGANISATION] with that political position or party, except where doing so is specifically part of our work.
· I will not exchange money, employment, goods or services for sex, including sexual favours, in the course of, or in connection with my work, or at any time when I am acting as a representative of [NAME OF ORGANISAITON] (including when travelling, or living outside of my home country as part of my work with [NAME OF ORGANISATION]). This includes soliciting any of the above in exchange for assistance (or for preferential delivery of assistance) that is due to community members.
· I will not ask for or invite any personal payment, service or favour from others, especially community members, in return for our help, support, goods or services of any kind.
· I will not profit from the sale of illegal goods or substances.
· I will not drink alcohol or use any other substances in a way that affects my ability to do my job or affects the reputation of [NAME OF ORGANISATION]. Likewise, I will under no circumstances drive a vehicle owned or in use by [NAME OF ORGANISATION] (or a local partner) under the influence of alcohol or any other illegal intoxicants.
· I will not accept bribes at all, or gifts valued at over $30 from governments, communities, donors, suppliers or others which have been offered as a result of my employment.
· I will not enter into any sort of business relationship on behalf of [NAME OF ORGANISATION] with family, friends or other personal/professional contacts for the supply of any goods or service to [NAME OF ORGANISAITON] or any employment-related matters without authorisation.
· I will not use the organisation’s computer or other equipment to view, download, create or distribute inappropriate material, such as pornography.
· I will not carry weapons within [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] premises or vehicles or when on duty.
3. I WORK ACTIVELY TO PROTECT THOSE WITH WHOM WE WORK
By taking into consideration the disadvantaged position in which communities may find themselves in relation to those who hold power or influence over certain aspects of their lives, I do my utmost to act in a manner that ensures that their interests are my paramount consideration. Consequently,
· I will not act in a way that breaches [NAME OF ORGANAISATION]’s guidelines and procedures, in particular [NAME OF ORGANAISATION]’s child protection policy.
· I will not abuse the power and influence that I have by virtue of my position over the lives and well-being of community members. I will never request or receive any service or favour from community members, staff members or other persons in return for assistance or protection. I will never engage in any exploitative relationships – sexual, emotional, financial or employment-related – with community members.
· I will seek to prevent the breach, and to address any suspected or alleged breaches, by an employee, contractor, board member or consultant of [NAME OF ORGANAISATION]'s policies
· Where the suspected or alleged breaches involve, or potentially involve, a serious breach of any of the above policies, I will bring the allegations to the attention of [NAME OF ORGANAISATION]. (Any allegation of sexual exploitation or abuse should always be considered to involve a serious breach.)
I will not withhold information about any current criminal convictions, charges or civil proceedings, in particular relating to child abuse, either when I join or arising during the time of my employment.
4. I SEEK TO PROTECT THE SAFETY & SECURITY OF MYSELF & OTHERS
…by being aware of and complying with [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] health & safety policies and practices and highlighting to my manager any areas of concern. Consequently,
· I will make myself familiar and comply with all [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] security & safety and health rules and procedures.
· I will not behave in a way which creates unnecessary risk to my security or the security of others.
5. I PROTECT [NAME OF ORGANAISATION]’S RESOURCES, ASSETS AND CONFIDENTIALITY
…by handling [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] financial resources and assets carefully and appropriately and by performing my official duties and conducting my private affairs in a manner that avoids conflict of interest. In particular:
· I will ensure [NAME OF ORGANAISATION]’s resources are not misused and protect them from theft, fraud or other damage.
· I will disclose any potential conflict of interest with a supplier, service provider or business partner (such as family relations or shareholding).
· I will safeguard and make responsible use of the information to which I have access as a result of my employment with [NAME OF ORGANAISATION].
· I will not use offices, [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] property or knowledge gained from functions with [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] for private gain, financial or otherwise, or for the private gain of any third party, including family, friends or those they favour.
· I will protect, manage and utilize [NAME OF ORGANAISATION]’s human, financial and material resources efficiently and effectively, bearing in mind that these resources have been placed at [NAME OF ORGANAISATION]'s disposal for the benefit of community members and other persons of concern to [NAME OF ORGANAISATION].
· I will exercise due care in all matters of official business, and not divulge outside appropriate channels any confidential information about community members and persons of concern to [NAME OF ORGANAISATION], colleagues and other work-related matters.
· I will maintain electronic files and archives in a responsible manner. Information that may be considered illegal, offensive or inappropriate must under no circumstances be processed, downloaded, stored or disseminated.
· I will exercise necessary caution and discretion with regard to political, military or security matters in official or private communications, including telephone calls, radio messages, e-mails and letters.
· When engaged in communication activities, I will ensure that portrayal of individuals and their circumstances is fairly represented in terms of their capacities and vulnerabilities. I will make all necessary efforts to explain how photos and stories will be used and to obtain permission from the individuals for the use of their photos and stories.
· I will not seek personal gain from my employment with [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] (additional to the terms of my employment) and will resist any undue political pressure in decision-making. In particular, I will not receive or provide bribes, including kick-backs of any kind.
· I will neither seek nor accept instructions regarding the performance of my duties from any government or from any authority external to [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] (except where it is expressly my duty to do so). I will not accept any honour, decoration, favour, gift or remuneration from any authority; nor will I accept these from any other source external to [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] without prior authorisation, except for minor token items of appreciation valued less than 30 USD.
· I will not engage in any outside occupation or employment or accept supplementary payments or subsidies from a government or any other source, where that may or will create any conflict of interest with my work with [NAME OF ORGANAISATION], without prior authorisation from [NAME OF ORGANAISATION].
· I will not assist private persons or companies in their undertakings with [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] where this might lead to actual or perceived preferential treatment. I will never participate in activities related to procurement of goods or services, or in human resource activities, where a conflict of interest may arise and will always act in strict conformity with [NAME OF ORGANAISATION]’s policies and guidelines.
· I will not reveal, both while working for and after leaving [NAME OF ORGANAISATION], any confidential information I have obtained while working for [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] to any third party, unless legally required to do so (or authorised by [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] or the person(s) whose confidential information it is). I am aware that the breach of professional secrecy both while employed and after leaving the organisation, might lead to a claim for compensation and/or prosecution.
· I will not issue comments or statements to the press or other agencies of public information or submit articles, books or other material for publication, including on internet blogs, websites, online media and any public electronic forums, if such act relates to the activities or interest of [NAME OF ORGANAISATION], except in accordance with the procedures (if any) within [NAME OF ORGANAISATION]. I commit to a responsible management of any personal social media platform, including Facebook and Twitter, in accordance with the law and the standards listed in the present code of conduct, on which I will not disclose any confidential professional matters, nor divulge any confidential information about community members and persons of concern to [NAME OF ORGANAISATION], colleagues and other work-related matters, nor represent [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] in any way.
6. I WILL REPORT ANY INCIDENT OR CONCERN RELATING TO THIS CODE
In order to create the conditions for this Code of Conduct to be upheld, we must not only apply it individually but be ready to bring to the attention of relevant managers within [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] any potential incident, abuse or concern that we witness or are made aware of.
· I will raise through appropriate channels, and in a timely manner, any matter which may be or appears to be a serious breach of the standards contained in the Code of Conduct.
I have been inducted in the Code of Conduct and understand its content
[NAME OF ORGANAISATION] expects the spirit and intent of this code of conduct and associated policies to be reflected in the policies of partner organisations with whom [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] works.
We value accountability: [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] staff should ensure that partner staff and community members are aware of how they can raise a complaint about [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] or an [NAME OF ORGANAISATION] employee.