Actions pour les Droits, l’Environnement et la Vie (Action for Rights, the Environment and for Life) – ADEV, is a not-for-profit and non-governmental environmental and human rights organisation, established in January 2000. The organisation is based in the town of Boma in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), and works throughout the country’s Bas-Congo province.
The organisation’s mission is to promote sustainable development based on the protection of the environment and the respect of human rights.
As its vision, ADEV believes in a world where all humans can fully enjoy their rights and where the earth is no longer considered as simply merchandise.
ADEV pursues the following objectives:
• To promote environmental protection and the responsible management of natural resources (forests, land, water, minerals, hydrocarbon) with a view towards sustainable development;
• To promote and defend human rights, particularly economic, social and cultural rights for social justice;
• To monitor exploitation activities of natural resources by enterprises and other agents;
• To promote good governance and the effective participation of women in development processes;
• Advocacy and lobbying.
Areas of expertise:
• Environment and natural resources,
• Human rights and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR),
• Advocacy and lobbying,
• Governance and gender.
Activities carried out by ADEV (amongst others):
• Awareness-raising, training and support of local communities affected by the activities of the oil industry in Bas-Congo province;
• Monitoring the impacts of activities of the oil and forest industries in Bas-Congo province;
• Supporting and giving training to rural women on participatory governance and gender issues;
• Studying small producers’ access to land in the district of Bas-Fleuve, Bas-Congo province;
• Environmental education (e.g. on climate change, REDD, bio-fuels etc.) and participatory mapping of local communities’ customary lands in the Bas-Fleuve district;
• Advocacy activities for participatory governance in the management of natural resources in Bas-Congo province and the mobilisation of local civil society for participatory governance;
• Monitoring a pilot REDD project and supporting local communities affected by it (on rights and free, prior and informed consent (FPIC));
• Community reforestation and the organisation of rural women’s associations.
• National Endowment for Democracy (NED) - United States
• Trocaire - Ireland
• SNV (Netherlands Development Corporation) Congo
• miva Switzerland
• European Association for the Defense of Human Rights (AEDH) - France
• Southern Africa Resource Watch (SARW) Bureau – DRC
• Forest Peoples Programme (FPP) - United Kingdom.