Five years after Asia Pulp & Paper, one of the world’s biggest producers of pulp, paper and packaging, released its Forest Conservation Policy, a group of 10 NGOs have highlighted five issues that indicate the company is not yet on a sustainable track.
The five issues are:
- Insufficient plantation wood supply and involvement in deforestation
- Slow progress in resolving land conflicts with communities
- Lack of progress in restoration and trading of degraded peatlands for areas that may have natural forest and community claims
- Misinformation about relationship with wood suppliers and lack of transparency on other key issues related to FCP implementation
- Lack of independent monitoring
Read the full statement here.